
New Delhi, August 16: World number 4 player Anders Antonsen will kick off his BWF World Championship campaign in New Delhi on Monday. His goal is to add another medal to his collection. Following his victory at the Thailand Open, Antonsen is eager to claim the world title in men’s singles.
Antonsen has already secured three bronze medals and one silver at the World Championships, but the gold remains elusive. The 28-year-old athlete acknowledged that completing his medal collection would be the pinnacle of his career. However, he understands that the current field’s quality leaves little room for error.
In a conversation with reporters, Antonsen stated, “Yes, you are right. I have won three bronzes and one silver. The only thing missing from my collection is the gold. Winning it would be incredible and feel like a dream come true, but it has been the last step that has eluded me. I expect to face some strong players in the tournament. So yes, I hope this year could be my year. I need to play my best and perhaps even better than before. I will also need a bit of luck. The men’s category is very competitive right now. There are many contenders for the title. So whoever wins it will obviously have to perform at their best.”
Antonsen’s confidence has been bolstered by his success at the Thailand Open, where he claimed a title he had never won before. With the World Championships approaching, he believes this victory proves that his best level is still within reach.
He remarked, “The Thailand Open has definitely been the highlight of my year so far, and I felt immense pride in winning a title I had never won before. It was a motivating experience. So even though I haven’t won any titles in the last few tournaments, there have only been four tournaments recently. This gives me hope that my level is good, but I need to improve it further.”
What makes this challenge particularly difficult is the absence of a clear favorite. Antonsen believes that the men’s singles field has become more open, with players from various countries capable of winning the title.
“Yes, it seems that everyone has raised their level. In the past, there might have been one or two clear favorites. That’s not the case anymore. There are many competitors from different countries. I think it’s exciting that it’s so unpredictable. It makes it much more enjoyable. There are some excellent players. I believe this makes the category very, very exciting. I don’t know why. Everyone is just getting better.”
Antonsen does not feel that the increased attention on him after Viktor Axelsen’s exit from international badminton has added pressure. The expectations that matter to him are the ones he places on himself. He said, “No, I don’t feel any extra pressure. The pressure I feel comes from within. I hold myself to high standards, and I want to win and claim the biggest title. I don’t care what others say or what the media says. So having expectations from anyone other than myself doesn’t matter. I really don’t feel that way.”
The competition in the men’s singles circuit has also changed the way Antonsen approaches the early rounds of major tournaments. He noted that players can no longer treat the early stages as merely a time to settle into the competition. “Of course, that’s certain. If you become too complacent in your mindset, your chances of winning diminish. If you are not 100 percent fit, you will likely be out in the first round. That’s why you need to bring your best to every match, whereas in the past, I might have thought the first two rounds were just about getting into the tournament. From that point on, it got serious. Now you need to give your best from the very first match.”
–
Leave a Comment